Identity Ramblings

Matt Driscoll, Staff

My full name is Matthew Austin Driscoll however I’m not too fond of my middle name. I have a twin brother, an older brother and a half-brother, yet somehow no sisters. I share a birthday with Abraham Lincoln, but I have managed to tell a lie or two. I passed my driver’s test on the first try, but I failed a history quiz the same day. My favorite holiday is Thanksgiving because it means I can eat my Aunt Toni Ann’s famous sweet potato casserole. I’ve only met two of my grandparents; nonetheless the two I have met manage to be the greatest people in the entire world.
I had braces for a year and a half and my teeth aren’t perfectly straight. My hair is wiry, but I am thankful that I have plenty of it. I didn’t start shaving regularly until the 11th Grade. I can scrub my face constantly, yet still breakout. I sing in the shower even though my family yells at me every time. My foot size hasn’t changed since 6th grade – it’s an 11 and a half. My posture isn’t terrible, but it could be better.
I have been to five countries and someday I hope to travel the world. I learned English first, Spanish second, and I fully intend to learn Icelandic next. I have been told that I am boring, but I seek adventure. I can deftly sketch a garden, yet my drawings of humans yield only stick figures. I have judged people, but I have been proven wrong. I have screamed at the top of my lungs; but I have been equally tongue tied. I’m not creative, but I have had a few million dollar ideas. I have gotten jealous over trivial nonsense. I thrive when I fail. I have lost championships, yet I have won trophies. I have lost sleep the night before.
I have substituted a mug of black coffee for the most important meal of the day. If I don’t eat enough carbohydrates with a meal, I shake. I firmly believe that mashed potatoes are the worst side dish anyone could make, but tater tots make any meal infinitely better. I like my eggs over easy, but only if I have a side of toast. When asked what my favorite meal is, I say dinner because it is the one time a day my family sits together and watches Jeopardy. I like dark chocolate. White chocolate disgusts me. I have eaten breakfast food for every meal in a single day.
This is my third attempt at writing a college essay, and there is no doubt that this is my last. I don’t have a 4.0 GPA, but I still work hard. I have incorrectly used a semicolon and been sincerely frustrated about it. I am not going D1 for any sport, but I can still play a pickup game of football. I may not get accepted everywhere, but I will end up going to college. I got elected to the Student Council, but I didn’t win by a landslide. I was in the Spring Musical, but I would choke if I was on Broadway. When given the option to work alone or in a group, I immediately search for my friends. I am not a dreamer, but I have been known to get lost in the world of what if? I’m no bookworm, but I have been known to get lost in literature.
I am not at all a perfect applicant for every school, but I am without a doubt one of a kind.